Admission Requirements for US Applicants

The following academic qualifications are required in order for an applicant to be considered for admission to our graduate programs. Meeting or exceeding these minimum standards does not constitute assurance of admission.

Degree Requirements

BBMB follows Iowa State University Office of Admissions degree requirements for US applicants.  Iowa State applicants educated in the United States must have a degree from a regionally accredited college or university.  Applicants holding degrees from institutions holding accreditation from the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) are not considered for graduate study.  If you have attended a non-US institution, your undergraduate degree will be reviewed by the Office of Admissions, should you be offered and accept admission to our graduate programs, to determine if it is comparable to a US bachelor's degree.

Applicants must meet certain admission standards in order to be eligible for our graduate degree programs.

  • Bachelor's or advanced degree in biochemistry, chemistry, or a closely-related field (such as biotechnology)
  • Class rank in the upper quartile
  • Minimum 3.0 grade point average based on the US grading system maximum of 4.0.

Academic Records

You can send the originals or a clear, easy-to-read copy (front and back) of official academic records and statements with your BBMB application for evaluation by our graduate student selections committee.  If you are offered and accept admission to our program, Iowa State University requires the original, official academic records and statements of all degrees earned from all institutions attended after high school.  To meet ISU admission requirements:

  • Faxed, scanned, or notarized copies are not considered official and will not be accepted.
  • Academic records should bear the original stamp or seal of the school official responsible for issuing such records, such as the registrar or controller of exams for that institution.
  • Records certified by lecturers, professors, or any other school official who does not hold primary responsibility for maintaining the academic records of the institution will not be accepted.
  • Translations:  Academic records from non-U.S. institutions are expected to be in the official language of the country in which they were earned.  If they are written in a language other than English, translations are required.  Iowa State University Admissions will accept literal (not interpretative) English translations from any qualified translator and they should be sent in addition to the official record.

Iowa State undergraduates

If you are currently or were previously enrolled at Iowa State University, you will need to send our Graduate Program Office a copy of your ISU transcript for evaluation along with your BBMB application.  However, if you are offered and accept admission to our graduate program, you will be provided instructions by our Graduate Office to apply to ISU online, but you do not need to request your official Iowa State University transcripts be sent to the ISU Office of Admissions, the Office of Admissions obtains them directly.

Previous Iowa State graduate students

If you were previously enrolled at Iowa State as a degree-seeking graduate student in another program in the last five years, you should submit the BBMB application for evaluation by our graduate selections committee if you wish to participate in our PhD rotation program.  However, if you will be directly admitted into the research laboratory of a major professor, you should submit your BBMB application, along with a Request to Transfer into our department/graduate program form (see Graduate College forms webpage), and a confirmation of financial support from your proposed major professor.  Your request to transfer into the BBMB graduate program will be reviewed for approval by the department once your file is complete.  You do not need to apply to ISU online again if you are offered admission or transfer into our graduate program.

If you were last enrolled as a degree-seeking graduate longer than five years ago, you should submit the Reinstatement to Active Status form (available on the Graduate College forms webpage) and gain the written approval of our graduate program and the Graduate College.